Saturday, March 13, 2010

For the Love of Chickens Pt.1

I was not raised on a farm. My husband however, grew up on his grandparents' farm. Farming was in his blood! All he ever talked about was one day buying his own farm. During the summer of 1997, he was transferred to Wisconsin. After settling in and getting a feel for the lay of land, we decided where we wanted to buy a place. So after lots of searching, hubby's dream was realized when we settled on what we affectionately referred to as "Green Acres."






After a lot of blood sweat and tears, we turned Green Acres into this!






We quickly added a menagerie of animals-a few cows, chickens and goats.





It was not my "job" to care for these critters. At "Green Acres," it was our children who cared for the animals. We were a homeschool family, and taking care of our barnyard friends was part of the daily routine. They learned so much from the animals, like...... RESPONSIBILITY! Even though I didn't care for the animals on a daily basis, I certainly enjoyed their company when I was working outdoors. And I made many stops to the fence to just watch them interact with one another. As a self-professed chicken hater, I soon changed my tune and fell in love them. I especially enjoyed the watching the beautiful roosters and hearing them crow.




Duke





Eugene (my favorite)




So this is how it all began. We moved from our beloved "Green Acres" in 2003 when hubby got transferred-AGAIN!
We ended up back where we started......in our hometown in Central Pennsylvania.

Stay tuned for the REST OF THE STORY!









Green Acres is the place to be!!

No comments:

Post a Comment